Service Civique has existed since 2010. It is a voluntary engagement in a community service mission in one of nine areas recognised and a priority for the nation.
The unique feature of Service Civique recruitment is that it is not based on the values that govern today’s working world, i.e. diplomas or professional experience, but on the motivation, personality and ambitions of the volunteer. It is possible to do Service Civique outside of France.
Who is it for?
All French or European citizens aged 18 to 25, and up to 30 for people with disabilities, ready to dedicate themselves to community service.
What is it?
A philanthropic community service mission for a period of 8 to 12 months with a working week between 24 and 39 hours.
Start date in September.
Abroad (primarily in Europe, also in North America or Israel with a VISA-AD partner organisation)
You have two possibilities:
- You may have an exact idea and find a mission in on the Service Civique website (using the VISA-AD filter).
Or you may have no idea and take VISA-AD’s guidance to find a project that matches your aspirations.
In either case, you will need to fill out an application form which we will have sent to you. After these considerations and after an interview with VISA-AD, your application is presented to the host organisation, who will approve it, or not. Neither the application nor the interview is a trap, the main idea is to get to know the young person and their motivations and to help them in their choice of mission.
What are the benefits?
- Recognised legal status
- A certificate validating the project and confirming your experience
- A personal assessment listing the skills you acquired during your mission
- Support throughout the mission (supervision, training, volunteer sessions, coordinators)
- Free Level 1 Emergency Response training from an accredited organisation (fire brigade etc.)
Civic and Citizen training provided by VISA-AD in sessions throughout the course of volunteering
An allowance of €522 net per month paid by the state. The host organisation also pays the volunteer €107.58, either in cash as a contribution in kind, corresponding to the cost of food (provision of meals) or transport. This can be paid in various ways (meal vouchers, access to the canteen, reimbursement of expenses, accommodation, etc.)
- Full social security coverage (sickness, maternity, workplace accidents)
- Pension contributions
- 2 days off per month of mission and 2 days off per week
Details specific to VISA-AD
- a pre-travel preparatory training session.
- A designated coordinator for the duration of the mission to oversee each volunteer.
- A solid international network available to offer support in the country where the mission takes place.
- Meet young people from all walks of life and experience volunteering as a community.
- Support in your choice of mission for a “tailor-made” mission.
- The opportunity to create and manage a personal project in your organisation. This allows for a degree of flexibility in the missions that the volunteer carries out.
- Complementary training abroad (cultural awareness etc.) throughout the mission
- VISA-AD acts as mediator in case of a problem between the host organisation and the volunteer.
- Exclusive partnership with the Institut de l’engagement to enhance the volunteer experience and establish plans for the post-volunteering period.
- Many missions are available with accommodation, helping with transport and reducing the uncertainty for young people.